Successfully upgraded to Vanilla Forums v2.6. Please report any issue you may find.

vertex buffer

When rendering vector graphics on graphics cards using modern APIs, vertex buffer objects are used to convert any points used to an array. This speeds up scaling because the points only needs to be computed once even though a vertex can be the intersection of multiple sides.
Tagged:

Comments

• I'm not too into 3d stuff like vertex buffers, I'm learning OpenGL right now to improve a game library I'm writing that uses the GLGalore plugin but I've read something about it.
    I think we could make use of it to speed up rendering of VAN frames. We have to decide if we want to use a custom new format or we want to use the current frame format (SVG images) and write a routine that converts SVG frames into VBO... I don't know the performances hit this conversion could have...
  • A VBO will compress better since the number of vertexes that can be plotted is typeically less than 65536 so each use of a vertex will be only a 2 byte index. My concerns are less about OpenGL and so on as floating point vs. fixed point.

My main complaint about SVG is that it is a zipped XML file containing floating point numbers in its text. A binary fixed-point number will work much better for this style of animation. By the time we're done with it, We'll likely need a smaller version just for Classic Amiga.
  • I agree, moreover the SVG XML parsing requires cpu time... there are tons of uneeded verbosity inside each frame